Based in Warsaw, Poland
PC / Mac / Linux
DescriptionWordTrap Dungeon is a scrabble-like, word spelling game, mixed with classic dungeon RPG mechanics.
- Show off your vocabulary skills and smash incoming foes with your beloved words such as: "love", "peace" or... "grammaticaster"
- Uncover the tale of a young wizard, trapped in a tower full of risks and magical mysteries.
- Enhance your hero through a simplified RPG system, available in a Story and Arena game mode
- Explore dungeons, swarming with every-day dungeon fellas (bats, goblins, beholders), all commanded by fearsome, gargantuan bosses
- Collect bonus letters to inflict kick-ass status debuffs: freeze, bleed or even shrink
We started working on this game in 2012. Early prototypes has been created in November, but due to poor tests results, we decided to abandon the project. The project has been revived in January 2013, when the Ouya CREATE game-jam has been announced. We have rewritten the game from scratch, redesigned all the mechanics and remade the assets so they would fit personal computers (PC, Mac, Linux), the OUYA console, and touchscreen systems.Pre-Alpha release
WordTrap Dungeon has been released in Pre-Alpha version in February 2013, and is still in development. You can download it for free, through Crunching Koalas Beta Program (http://beta.crunchingkoalas.com). Game has been well received by the players, and previewed by many game portals, including: Destructoid, IndieGames.com, Gamezebo, and Gamezone.Alpha release
WordTrap Dungeon Alpha version will be released in August 2013 and will be available for free download for all Crunching Koalas Beta Program members.
Logo & Icon
Awards & Recognition
- "A MAZE Indie Connect Showcase 2013 Participant" Berlin, April 2013
- "Digital Dragons 2013: Indie Showcase Participant" Cracov, April 2013
- "Casual Connect Europe 2013: Indie Showcase Participant" Hamburg, February 2013
- "Featured on Unity3d official website as an example of exceptional use of Unity3d engine" February 2013
- "Kill Screen and Ouya CREATE Participant" January 2013
- "WordTrap Dungeon, a new typing/puzzle game on PC is in pre-alpha, and it looks pretty darn good so far."
- Chris Carter, Destructoid
- "WordTrap Dungeon is a dungeon crawler with RPG elements, but its base mechanics rely on spelling words, offering quite an intriguing combination of gameplay styles."
- David Sanchez, Gamezone
- "WordTrap Dungeon is in early development, and the developers are doing the right thing and allowing anyone to play it, provided they sign up to their on-site beta program."
- Chris Priestman, IndieStatik
- "MouseCraft creator Crunching Koalas seeks players for its free Scrabble-inspired dungeon crawler WordTrap Dungeon."
- Danny Cowan, IndieGames.com
Request Press Copy
Please fill in your e-mail address below and we'll get back to you as soon as a press copy is available for you.
Alternatively, you can always request a press copy by sending us a quick email.
About Crunching Koalas
Crunching Koalas is a small, but very ambitious independent game development studio, based in Warsaw, Poland. Our mission is to deliver fulfilling experiences, by patiently crafting cheerful digital entertainment for all those, who need a break.
More information on Crunching Koalas, our logo & relevant media are available here.
WordTrap Dungeon Credits
Project Lead/ Game Designer/ 3d Artist
Art Direction/ 2D Artist/ Game Designer
3D Artist / Animator
Game Designer/ Additional Programer
Music Composer, Freelancer
2D Artist, Freelancer
Crunching Koalas Blog