WordTrap Dungeon 0.15 – post your feedback here

home Forums Beta program WordTrap Dungeon WordTrap Dungeon 0.15 – post your feedback here

This topic contains 52 replies, has 32 voices, and was last updated by Eugene Eugene 2 years, 12 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 53 total)
  • Author
    Tom
    Tom
    CRUNCHING KOALA

WordTrap Dungeon Pre-Alpha version is available for download:

Click here to login with your Beta Program credentials and download first playable version of WordTrap Dungeon!

Here’s a YouTube video of the gameplay:

Siemowit
    Siemowit

Ok I just finished Pre-Alpha WTD for the first time (but it was fun so I propobly finish it many times more ;) ) and here are my thoughts about this game. First of all the main idea of the game suits me verry well as I am fan of dungeon crawler type games. And what is important the game is not to easy (I died couple of times before I finished this version) and u can treat it like a challenge. On my pc games works fine there was no problems with opening it or during the game. The art style of the game is cool so as the idea of getting random letters at every level. The only thing that I didn’t liked so far is that player can’t move the character by himself. In my opinion it would be much more fun if you could explore the dungeon using keyboard by your selfe and not only watch the character moving ;)

Lukasz
    Lukasz
    CRUNCHING KOALA

Thanks for the feedback! We also think that exploring dungeon by your own would be interesting, but for now the focus is on presenting the main mechanics… so I’m glad you like it ;)

galonpzw

True, it be more fun if we can decide where to walk/run :P  Also i think that we need more letters because sometimes it was too hard (but i’ve never died :D ) to make word, and i was just clicking randomly :x Graphic is very nice, magic effects too :D Good work :D

michal158
    michal158

Thanks for another great game!
    I watched little piece of gameplay, so i knew what i have to do. This game is funny, and interesting.
    I agree with galonpzw. without possibility of walking, on some level the game was getting monotonous. I didn’t knew what words would create a spell so i clicked randomly. I really enjoy special letters, and effect’s when i made spell from them.
    Graphics looks great.
    I didn’t noticed any mistakes or bugs. I’ll play a few times and if I see any I’ll post here :)

Hyeron

Just finished the pre-alpha. Works like a charm out of the box (Arch Linux x86_64 with x86_64 build, nvidia with latest proprietary drivers, for the record). I guess it will need a small tutorial and a few tweaks (keep your long words for the big baddies, what’s the value of the various letters, etc.), and it felt a bit odd not being able to use the keyboard to type words (though such a feature would probably send the balance into oblivion). This kind of game also asks for some more localization (being a French native with a hobby in translation it was quite easy, but I guess everyone isn’t so lucky).

Other than that, no bug in sight so far after a first playthrough.

hero1900

on my ubuntu 12.04 the resolution was so so small so i cant really see that much and the mouse navigation have issue i upload some screenshot to clear out what is the issue .

my system info:

Processor Information:
    Vendor:  GenuineIntel
    Speed: 2501 Mhz
    2 logical processors
    2 physical processors
    HyperThreading:  Unsupported
    FCMOV:  Supported
    SSE2:  Supported
    SSE3:  Supported
    SSSE3:  Supported
    SSE4a:  Unsupported
    SSE41:  Supported
    SSE42:  Unsupported

Network Information:
    Network Speed:

Operating System Version:
    Ubuntu 12.04.2 LTS (32 bit)
    Kernel Name:  Linux
    Kernel Version:  3.2.0-37-generic-pae
    X Server vendor:  The X.Org Foundation
    X Server release:  11103000

Video Card:
    Driver:  NVIDIA Corporation GeForce 8400M GS/PCIe/SSE2

Driver Version:  3.3.0 NVIDIA 310.14
    Desktop Color Depth: 24 bits per pixel
    Monitor Refresh Rate: 59 Hz
    VendorID:  0x10de
    DeviceID:  0×427
    Number of Monitors:  1
    Number of Logical Video Cards:  1
    Primary Display Resolution:  1280 x 800
    Desktop Resolution: 1280 x 800
    Primary Display Size: 13.03″ x 8.15″  (15.35″ diag)
    33.1cm x 20.7cm  (39.0cm diag)
    Primary Bus: PCI Express 16x
    Primary VRAM: 256 MB
    Supported MSAA Modes:  2x 4x 8x 16x

Sound card:
    Audio device: Realtek ALC268

Memory:
    RAM:  4023 Mb

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attched files.

trash

on my ubuntu 12.04 the resolution was so so small so i cant really see that much and the mouse navigation have issue i upload some screenshot to clear out what is the issue .

I had the same problem here on a Arch Linux but blamed it on my window manager (XMonad) which sometimes messes things up, because there isn’t a desktop environment involved. It seems like the game tries to render to full hd but my screen actually only is 1600×900 and the game didn’t scaled down. The thing that made it a bit tricky was that the mouse region actually met the screen region so the mouse pointer wasn’t on par with where I clicked. But thanks to the hover effects I was able to play through the beta.

Some things I liked so far:

- graphics & art direction

- modifier letters which you have to use wisely providing some form of strategy

Things I didn’t liked:

- no keyboard support which made for a somewhat slow pace (seems more targeted at a touch device)

- little amount of letters which didn’t changed that often so the possible vocabulary was a bit limited

- oneshoting nearly all enemies

- linear dungeon without the possibility to explore (no walking or branching paths)

- lack of variation in combat – maybe there could be a way to dodge or reflect attacks?

Oh and:

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attched files.
    Tom
    Tom
    CRUNCHING KOALA

I had the same problem here on a Arch Linux but blamed it on my window manager (XMonad) which sometimes messes things up, because there isn’t a desktop environment involved. It seems like the game tries to render to full hd but my screen actually only is 1600×900 and the game didn’t scaled down. The thing that made it a bit tricky was that the mouse region actually met the screen region so the mouse pointer wasn’t on par with where I clicked. But thanks to the hover effects I was able to play through the beta.

Some things I liked so far:

- graphics & art direction

- modifier letters which you have to use wisely providing some form of strategy

Things I didn’t liked:

- no keyboard support which made for a somewhat slow pace (seems more targeted at a touch device)

- little amount of letters which didn’t changed that often so the possible vocabulary was a bit limited

- oneshoting nearly all enemies

- linear dungeon without the possibility to explore (no walking or branching paths)

- lack of variation in combat – maybe there could be a way to dodge or reflect attacks?

Oh and:

Thanks for the post, the screen is great ;) .

I’ll look into the code and try to fix the resolution bug.

The keyboard support will probably be available tomorrow.

Cheers,
    Tom

trash

Maybe it helps: Mousecraft didn’t seem to suffer from the resolution bug.

Lukasz
    Lukasz
    CRUNCHING KOALA

Oh and: Attachments: wt_screen 

awesome ;)

Gafgarion

I really liked the idea. I know it’s a pre-alpha version, and I know how much costs (for the wallet and for the mind) to make even the first version of a game, but there are some suggestions i’d like to make:

-To explore the dungeon by yourself is not the focus of the game, but giving the player a possibility to choose between two and more paths sometimes may be nice.

- Improving the fisrt impression the player have on the game. There are some small things you can do, such as adding details to the scenario, adding some small animations to the main menu, even some little particles may do the job quite well, etc.

- Making possible, and sometimes obligatory the use of more complex words, because with simplier words, i knew that combinating 3 or 4 random letters i could get something.

- There was a little bug: after killing the last enemy I pressed the pause button, but the game paused and went to the “restart mission” menu, so the two menus were ” visually merged”, but only the “restart mission” menu worked.

The visual is REALLY good for a pre-alpha version, and if you guys follow this line of art, the final product will be very nice. I will play again a couple of times and see if I can make any further suggestions.

TorusHead

I really enjoyed the pre-alpha so far! I like the graphics and the animation, particularly with your spiky little beholder.

It’s a good concept and also quite a bit of fun!

I had some thoughts about what kind of things that could enhance the game, and maybe you’ve already thought or some of these or are working on them already. But these are just my thoughts:

Character improvement. Maybe earn XP based on the length of words you use? Longer words = more XP. But, it also would mean that you have to be careful when to play longer words, as you don’t want to overkill easier monsters with really long words. What kinds of stats can you improve? Health, spell power, perhaps?
    What about spending XP for perks, like a first strike ability maybe having a percentage chance for critical hit? (I’m sure you’ll be come up with many, many others!)

I know that free-roaming the dungeon has been discussed too, but the question would be what the advantage to allowing this feature would be. It doesn’t seem like you can have random encounters because you could run out of words before you got to the boss, unless you gave the player a new set of letters every x number of enemies defeated, for example.  But you also wouldn’t want too many random encounters because it might let players grind a little too much.

But even if you did allow wandering through the dungeon, what other reasons would  there be? Finding treasure chests with additional letters or perhaps randomly enchanting an existing letter with a spell effect?

Regardless, I’ve enjoyed it so far. Great work to your entire team on this!

- TH

marcin1509

WordTrap Dungeon is great !! I enjoy that game. Please add a polish language and changing the letters set.
    I think that it’s a good idea :) You can also add more beasts, so as to the game will be diverse.

Blocking walking by player isn’t a good idea – I think that no-blocked walking will be better.
    It’s my opinion :)

BigRob154
    BigRob154

Hey there,

just downloaded Wordtrap Dungeon and tried to run it. But it fails on my Mac Book Pro, Mid 2010.

Error:

>> open wordtrap_dungeon.app
    LSOpenURLsWithRole() failed with error -10810 for the file /Applications/wordtrap_dungeon.app.

Specs:

- 15″ MacBook Pro, Mid 2010
    - OS X 10.8.2
    - 2.4 GHz Core i5
    - 8 GB RAM
    - NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M 256 MB

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 53 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.