WordTrap Dungeon 0.15 – post your feedback here

home Forums Beta program WordTrap Dungeon WordTrap Dungeon 0.15 – post your feedback here

This topic contains 52 replies, has 32 voices, and was last updated by Eugene Eugene 3 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 53 total)
  • Author

susie5

I found myself in a dungeon with a monster, no weapons, and clicking everywhere did nothing. He finally finished using up all my strength, and it quit. I had no idea what I was supposed to do, or if it was a flaw in the game. Interested to see what the Alpha looks like. I hope there are at least some modest instructions!

I’ve played this so far a couple of times and each time I have had this at the beginning, no book, no hand, no way to do anything but sit there and wait for the monster to eat up all my health.   Eventually, the book, letters, hand etc., have appeared and I’ve been able to make the words and ‘shoot’ the monsters.   What makes them appear is a mystery, I’ve clicked everything I can think of and quitting and restarting doesn’t seem to make a difference.   Neither does my ‘dying’ and restarting seem to bring them forth – they just appear eventually.   I haven’t tried changing the resolution as it is correct for my laptop but maybe I’ll give that a try and see if it makes a difference to anything.

toor

Same problem, resolution doesn’t fit mine, everything is too big and clickable things don’t fit the images

Tom
    Tom
    CRUNCHING KOALA

Same problem, resolution doesn’t fit mine, everything is too big and clickable things don’t fit the images

Was it the Linux version?

happymistakes
    happymistakes

I didn’t care for it. I like word games, but not a fan of action games. However, that’s not why I didn’t like it. I didn’t like it because it threw me right into the game, with no explanation. I was half dead before I figured out what I was supposed to do. I figured out I needed to make words (the title is a dead giveaway), but not what to do after I made them. I only figured it out by accident (managed to click that “X” on the gauntlet, somehow). By then I was a bit irritated, and was going to die anyway, so I quit, filled out the survey and that was it.

The language and menu graphics could use some pizazz and depth; they’re awfully flat and the game needs some kind of music. I didn’t like the “grunting” sound effects; something else would be better.

The game desperately needs a Help function/button on the Menu screen. Not a forced tutorial, but screens to read. I hate forced tutorials, so a Help button would be best. There needs to be some explanation about how to play, what to do, what to expect, etc. Plus, it needs to be more obvious how to exit the game…I think I managed to exit by accident.

Still needs work, in my opinion.

Kalnaur

I finished playing the build some time back, but I was lazy. ;)

Anyhoo, points:

Pros: The game is beautiful, challenging, and engaging on a mental level. The monsters are fun, the magic effects are splendid, the idea of books, magic and words is fun when put together. I like the idea of set monsters in set places, and having to watch your letter resources.

Cons: the lack of personal agency vis a vis movement makes the game seem a bit monotonous, and makes me recall the spelling-game-on-rails of Bookworm Adventures far too much. Not that the game was bad, but with a 3-D dungeon, it does seem a waste not to be able to explore that dungeon environment.

Suggestions: In exploring the dungeon more, anything from a trap needing to be disarmed (through word power!) before time ran out to a book with special magic letters for a better edge in the next battle to a surprise secret battle or boss could happen. What’s more, with such functionality, the game broadens it’s general scope, allowing for less feeling of “doing the same thing”.

Tom
    Tom
    CRUNCHING KOALA

I didn’t care for it. I like word games, but not a fan of action games. However, that’s not why I didn’t like it. I didn’t like it because it threw me right into the game, with no explanation. I was half dead before I figured out what I was supposed to do. I figured out I needed to make words (the title is a dead giveaway), but not what to do after I made them. I only figured it out by accident (managed to click that “X” on the gauntlet, somehow). By then I was a bit irritated, and was going to die anyway, so I quit, filled out the survey and that was it.

The language and menu graphics could use some pizazz and depth; they’re awfully flat and the game needs some kind of music. I didn’t like the “grunting” sound effects; something else would be better.

The game desperately needs a Help function/button on the Menu screen. Not a forced tutorial, but screens to read. I hate forced tutorials, so a Help button would be best. There needs to be some explanation about how to play, what to do, what to expect, etc. Plus, it needs to be more obvious how to exit the game…I think I managed to exit by accident.

Still needs work, in my opinion.

Thx for the feedback. Let me answer:

• There surely gonna be some kind of tutorial. We just figured out that when releasing a prototype we need to check how deep and thorough the tutorial should be.
    • Sound effects are temporary, we are implementing some new ones at the moment.
    • Yeah, the language menu is very bad ;)

Anyhoo, points:

Suggestions: In exploring the dungeon more, anything from a trap needing to be disarmed (through word power!) before time ran out to a book with special magic letters for a better edge in the next battle to a surprise secret battle or boss could happen. What’s more, with such functionality, the game broadens it’s general scope, allowing for less feeling of “doing the same thing”.

Thanks for playing, these are some neat suggestions! Actually we were thinking about a mini game, but we are not sure if it should be “word based”. Wouldn’t it be more refreshing if it was a some kind of a puzzle mini game? Something which will give you a short break from spelling words?

What’ya think?

Kalnaur

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Kalnaur wrote:</div>

Anyhoo, points:

Thanks for playing, these are some neat suggestions! Actually we were thinking about a mini game, but we are not sure if it should be “word based”. Wouldn’t it be more refreshing if it was a some kind of a puzzle mini game? Something which will give you a short break from spelling words?

What’ya think?

Actually, yeah, a mini-game, specifically for trying to unlock chests and/or disarm traps could give a good breadth of play to the game overall.

bcereus

Hello

Feedback.

First of all big fan of the game, it is immersive and your art style is something that i like.

Movement: The movement is abit linear, however i don’t think that’s a bad thing, in my opinion you should keep this movement because if you try to integrate a full moving player and rendered dungeons then you are in for a long haul. The game would become very big and it is no longer a game you sit down with or just play on the go. It then becomes a game that needs you to be immersed and fully concentrating. I’m guessing this is a casual game. So in terms of movement, keep the current linear style!

Power ups: But then there is a problem, the movement itself makes the game easier to play, however it does take away from the fun of it. Not because the movement is linear but it becomes monotonous after a while. So what alot of casual games i have seen do and something i think is actually essential in your game, is powerups. To balance the monotomy of the movement. Massive bonuses, powerups and alot of variety. And when the player gets a powerup of new spell or a new book, then you need to exxagerate the accomplishment, the whole fan fare and clapping thing. Not actually clapping but you get what i mean. I undertstand the game is in it’s beta, however at the moment the concept is good but it needs more depth and more content. It is very simplified. so again the point about all kinds of bonuses and power ups, pick ups, drops, pets etc. Basically flesh it out abit.

The rooms: So the rooms themselves are beautiful, like i said i love your art style. But what would make this extremely cool would be that at random times, you could interact with the room. so maybe a chest hidden in a corner, a hidden door, hidden pickups, hidden npc. And this would be click based, so you click them and then it reveals itself etc. The room can even act as an element, maybe if there is fire in the room and you use fire or red letters to form a word then you get a massive bonus to your hits, more damage etc. The rooms in the dungeons are essential and i think you should take advantage of them.

Story: A story would be good, not essential, some basis or need for accomplishment. I am writer by hobby, especially fiction and fantasy so ask me maybe? I’d love to do it! ;) Probably won’t happen but hey :D

Versatile dungeons: Obviously you have probably thought of this but dungeons that vary in size, colour, elemental affliation, monster level or boss rooms.

Spell casting: Very good, reminds me of skyrim. Perfect way to do spells.

Menus: I love them, i do like the art here i have to admit, maybe a bit more embellishment but that’s about it.

Monsters: Definitely more varieties, that’s key point here.

Boss battle: Should be more intense, more letters provided maybe?

Suggestion system : Did this game have a suggestion system? I don’t think it did, i didn’t find it. But if it didn’t, then i think it may be worth looking at a word suggestion system, maybe in the form of spells. Or even bonuses or monster drops. Or ingame purchases with your gold?

No technical hiccup for me, everything worked fine, high graphics looks gorgeous.

That’s about all i can of right now. But great start guys, the game is very elegant and polished, i like that aspect, simple and elegant in menus and play. That’s my two bits, if i think of any more to add i shall write.

Przemyslaw
    Przemyslaw
    CRUNCHING KOALA

Hey!
    Thanks for awesome feedback bcereus. And also lots of good and cool ideas.

Some of the matters that You pointed out are already in prototyping stage. We’re still not sure how player movement will exactly look- most beta members asked us to implement some freedom to it. Anyway, if it will not work satisfying enough due to our beta-testers expectations (means also Yours:), we will not include it in final version of the game.

The storyline is already a work in progress, we hope it will satisfy You. It’s mostly a excuse to vaporize dangerous monsters with your spell casting abilities, but still it has to make sense and give a proper feeling of the game.

And don’t be worried about enemies, I think there is a lot of diversity. In fact I can show You one of my new favorites. I finished him a while ago, he has not been revealed yet and has no real texture on.

I’d rather be careful with this one :)

wordtrapdungeon
    It’s really cool that someone, there in The Huge Kingdom of Internet, still pays attention to Wordtrap :)

bcereus

That actually looks very good as it is, it goes with the whole look you’ve got for the monsters. The weirder the better i always say.

And i’m glad you’re working on a lot of stuff, this has really good potential. Alot of games during beta that i’ve played have a very unpolished and abit confusing interface which puts people off, but your game is very polished and straight forward.

And in terms of movement, can i suggest something? Why not keep it linear but when the character defeats a monster in a room he/she can look around the room in a 360 degree manner to see what they can find but they are rooted to the spot. Kind of like loot searching! When the player is ready to move on to the next room he/she taps in the direction of the room/corridor and the game moves on to that room/corridor etc. So in this way the movement is not totally free in the sense that you can walk around in the dungeon, but it is free enough that it lets players have a say in the direction they take: where to explore etc.

Just a thought!

And of course people take notice, i think your game is great. I always watch out for upcoming studios or upcoming projects. You would be surprised how fast the game gets popular once it is launched. Best of luck!

Lukasz
    Lukasz
    CRUNCHING KOALA

And in terms of movement, can i suggest something? Why not keep it linear but when the character defeats a monster in a room he/she can look around the room in a 360 degree manner to see what they can find but they are rooted to the spot. Kind of like loot searching! When the player is ready to move on to the next room he/she taps in the direction of the room/corridor and the game moves on to that room/corridor etc. So in this way the movement is not totally free in the sense that you can walk around in the dungeon, but it is free enough that it lets players have a say in the direction they take: where to explore etc.

Hmm…Interesting idea, but I’m afraid that it will pull over need for more polished assets in these spots, and a lot more variety.

Currently we are testing the idea where at some point you will have to decide which way you want to go.

For example:
    - If you go left you will meet a horde of annoying bats.
    - When you go right, you will face one big badass.

Your character skills are developed to some point, so you have to manage which confrontation suits your skills. And of course- at the end of each corridor you will find different loot.

What do You think about this?

bcereus

Yeah i understand, and of course you are in the Beta which would set back the game quite abit to implement that movement idea.

Maybe when your are finishing a dungeon or close to finishing it, you can choose whether to stay there and get strongerAnd i think that is a good idea, would the character know which place holds which monster? I think it would work the way you suggested now because it will allow characters to choose whether to continue their development or if they are ready to face the Boss. But what if the player did not know this and stumbles upon some Boss without knowing, It would bring more suspense but then that kinda of defeats the point of leveling up and facing the big Boss i guess. So your idea is much more practical and easier to implement. But it would be cool to have some kind of suspense or surprise in the game.

Lukasz
    Lukasz
    CRUNCHING KOALA

Yep, player will be informed what is waiting for him in each corridor. maybe in some enigmatic way, but still. Soon we want to test that idea and see how people will pick up that kind of “danger menagment”. I don’t worry about surprise elements. Each new enemy is surprising – mainly in the scope of the tactics which suits best to defeating each mob.

kapi12c
    kapi12c

Hi! I have just finished your game and although I’m more into shooters, it was really fun to play it. ;) However, it needs some music and should be more dynamic. Also, I noticed a bug – if you Alt+Tab it and then return, keys don’t work, except Esc. I have to Alt+Tab and then return a few times to make them work again.

PaiNt

Hi, I liked your game very much. It would be nice if you could add PVP mode.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 53 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.